My history with plants
I have never been good with a garden. It is certainly not genetic, as my mom keeps beautiful plants around our house. I think it stems from a bit of laziness, or forgetfulness, or just too many things on my to-do list. But I would love to have pretty flowers and home-grown vegetables. So I try every year. Last year, I even built our dog a little enclosure where she can go to the bathroom. I filled it with dirt, some little bushes, and rocks. She destroyed it within a few weeks. This year was no exception to my gardening desires. I went on a major shopping spree to Home Depot then filled in the gaps with some Amazon items.
What I bought
Home Depot (Amazon links for convenience, where I could find them)
- A seed starter kit (this but the 36 cell variety)
- A fish tank garden kit – this was a complete impulse buy, and probably not worth the price tag
- A lemon tree
- A blueberry tree
- A basil plant
- Self-watering tomato plant
- Impatiens – not only a description of me, though misspelled, but apparently an easy-to-grow plant
- Two hosta plants and two grassy bushes – Elle will certainly dig these up.
- A few other flowers that I don’t recall. See what I mean about not being a gardener?
- Vegetable seeds – I planted the tomatoes, broccoli, bok choy, kale, carrots, spinach, and cucumbers
- These aero garden pods. We got two aero gardens as wedding presents. I previously tried to grow herbs in them but they got too bushy and overwhelming. I’m trying wildflowers in our office and tomatoes in our kitchen.
I planted them all. I will still need to invest in a raised planter for the vegetables once they outgrow their seed start tray, so I’m not done spending money just yet. I will update y’all as I go along. Wish me luck!